Saturday, May 8, 2010

DIFFERENCES

Sometime back, I was reading the Quran, wearing just my t-shirt and jeans, sitting comfortably on the sofa. Nina asked me why am I not covered (referring to my aurat) and I said I am in the comfort of home, plus I was too lazy to wear my hijab but quickly added, Allah will understand. ??? Why did I say that, I don't know. Not really a good answer to an 11-year old who was to look upon me as a role model (of some sort)!

A few weeks later, the same question was posed by a viewer of a talk show on the London-based Islamic Channel and the Ustaz responded it was ideal for us to cover our aurat out of respect for ALLAH as we are reading his BOOK. Just like we cover our aurat when we bow to Him in our prayers. He said IDEAL, he did not really say it is a MUST.
I still think I am not wrong in reading the Quran, uncovered. Maybe I am just being jahil here, but Islam does not burden its followers. I mean, there are times when we are in our own house and we feel like reciting some surahs that we know by heart just for the sake of it or before we go to sleep. I know I do. Do I have to reach for the hijab each time I want to do that? I don't know...

It's like when some of us commented how weird it is to see some women praying with their faces covered when in Islam, the aurat for women is all her body except the face and the palms of her hands. And then somebody commented to me once, what about when we wear our telekung, which most of the time is very long, thus covering our palms? Is that not the same as those heavily veiled women? I don't know... does anyone know if that's the same thing?

Since living here, I had begun to look at all this differently. We can't pass judgement on the way other Muslims conduct themselves. Here, come solat time, they pray regardless of where they are. They can stop the car by the roadside and do their prayers if they want to. I have seen that. Or on the roundabouts, or in parking lots. Or even in the aisle/hallway leading to a shopping mall's toilets! Or even in front of the entrance of a department store, despite the surau just a five-min walk away.

It's really interesting the way they carried on their lives as Muslims. Back home, outside our homes, we'd look for a clean place. preferably a surau to perform our solat. Some would prefer to Qada instead when they can't find the surau in a shopping mall or restaurants. Here, everywhere can be your praying ground. It opened my eyes to the beauty and simplicity of Islam and I love it!
In my compound gym, quite a number of times, I see the ladies, in their exercise gear, tight leotard and all, reading the Quran, while walking on the treadmill or cycling the bike. It's a refreshing sight and even that I loved!

Talking about refreshing, I want to digress a bit.
Amir came home from school today and immediately did his homework!! I was shocked. Rupa-rupanya he has a group presentation tomorrow in class and he is the group leader! The way he told me that he's got a presentation tomorrow like it's no biggie gitu! Like he has been doing this all his life... lol! Kat KL dulu, mana ada?
This compared to Nina who had her first solo presentation just two months after coming here and boy, was she a wreck!! She was so nervous even when she was preparing it at home. Even worst when she first stood in front of the class. Nasib baik the English teacher was so understanding and asked her to go back to her seat and make her presentation when she's emotionally ready. 20 mins later, she recovered from her shyness and fear and triumphed! Her "bravery" won her the Student of the Month award for Year 7.....

What's the point of this entry? I don't know but it feels good writing it all down.....:)

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm I don't put hijab when I read the quran. Sometimes in class (all girls) the ladies pun take off the hijab. I know most of my teachers tak pakai hijab when they read the quran at home. hijab is worn for the men to not see us.

    however there are adab to take care of like best to have wudhu', facing qiblah, clean.

    Allah knows best

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks lollies! :) -rozi-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rozi,
    We've talked abt some of what you wrote before, i.e on solat, where we sort of concluded that the Malays here have the tendency to rumitkan ways to perform our obligations as Muslims, such as we fear our prayer will not be perfect or accepted if the floor or room is dirty, so we qado the solat at home or we fear our clothes are dirty, so we'd rather pray at home.
    For me, having seen how Muslims women from other countries wear & pray, I came to the conclusion that there are many schools of thought in Islam, so we, the Shafies, can't say that the others - Hambali, Maliki, Hanafi - are wrong in their clothing and conduct.. Wallahuallam, I'm still jahil in Islam..
    Mitch

    ReplyDelete
  4. waaah, way to go Amir & Nina!! Bagus la international schools, nurture confidence in students..

    Mitch

    ReplyDelete